Have you been involved in a serious traffic accident that was responded to by the Newport Beach Police Department? If so, we recommend that you request a copy of your traffic accident report.
Victims of serious vehicle accidents often face significant financial hardship due to a pileup of medical bills, property damage, and lost wages. The police accident report contains important information that you’ll need in order to receive the most compensation for your troubles.
Here, we’ve explained your options for obtaining a copy of your Newport Beach Police Department accident report.
Need assistance? Let our qualified attorneys help.
We understand that the time following a serious traffic accident is filled with pain, shock, anxiety, and confusion. If you find yourself in this situation, we want to help. Complete the short form below and one of our qualified injury attorneys will contact you to help you track down your report.
How to Request a Copy of Your Newport Beach Police Accident Report
According to the Newport Beach Police Department official website, you may request a copy of your report in-person or via U.S. Mail. A traffic collision report usually takes around 14 days from the date of your accident to process and become ready for release.
Requesting Your Report In-Person
Head over to the front counter at the Newport Beach Police Department:
Newport Beach Police Department
870 Santa Barbara Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92660
The front desk is open every day of the week, 8am to 6pm. Make sure to bring valid government issued identification and a method of payment.
Requesting (and Receiving) Your Accident Report Through U.S. Mail
In order to request your accident report by mail, you must include a note with the following information:
- Your name
- You connection to the accident
- Your report number. If you don’t have your report number, include the date and time of your accident, in addition to other important information
- Your contact information (address / phone number).
- A legible photocopy of your photo ID
- A check for $10.00 payable to the Newport Beach Police Department
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Important Items to Note About Obtaining Your Report:
- The Newport Beach Police Department does charge a convenience fee for traffic accident reports requested in-person and via U.S. mail. An in-person request costs $11.00 and a mailed request costs $10.00.
- Your traffic accident report request will be reviewed for eligibility for release.
- The Newport Beach PD may take a few days to review your request.
- You are required go in-person to the business desk and present valid government issued identification and payment when picking up your accident report.
- If you do not know your report number, want to verify the report’s availability, or have any other questions, you may call the Newport Beach PD Records at 949-644-3682.
Serious Accident? You May Need to Fill Out a DMV SR-1 Form
California law requires that you fill out a DMV SR-1 Form within 10 days of your accident if:
- There was property damage of more than $1,000
- Anyone was injured
- Anyone was killed
If your accident meets any of these criteria, we can help you fill out and submit your form. Please call us anytime or contact us online for help.